What is a Lego EV3 Mindstorms kit?
How can I program the motors to control the robot?
SWBAT complete and post all past assignments
Students will learn about the Lego EV3 robots by watching several tutorial videos about programming them
- To begin the Lego EV3 challenges please watch only the first three tutorial videos on this site if you have not already. I created them to provide you with the information you need for the first challenge. Click here for the page with the videos.
- When you are done you may:
- Get together with a partner
- Get a Lego EV3 Challenges worksheet and fill out the top part
- Take a robot from the cabinet
- Try to program it for the first challenge
- Note: if you run into problems check to see who else in the class is familiar with Lego EV3 robots. There is also a page on this blog you can check called Lego Robot Problems & Solutions. Be sure to check that out.
- If I am not able to check your robot when you finish a challenge, you should begin working on the next challenge.
What do engineers do?
What type of engineer would I like to be, if I had to choose?
SWBAT identify critical skills for a variety of engineering jobs
SWBAT choose what type of engineering job might be the best fit for them
Today you’ll watch several videos about engineers. Save a copy of this Google Doc . The document has a list of videos showing engineers and what they do. You’ll be watching five of the videos. They are very short and there are a number of them to choose from.
For each video, you’ll write what type of engineering the person shown in the video does. Then you’ll go to this site to help you describe what that type of engineer does. If you can’t find the description on that site, go to this page with additional descriptions.
Note: Out of the 5 engineers you choose, only two may be the same type of engineers.
Then you’ll rank how interesting the job is to you on a scale of 1 – 10.
- Don’t skip the last question about which engineer you like most. When you’re done, submit the Google Doc in Schoology.
There are a total of 26 engineers listed, but you do not have to watch and answer questions for all of them. You need to view the videos for at least 5 of the engineers listed below and answer the questions for those five videos.
How does the 3D Printer work?
How do I design an object that can be printed on the 3D printer?
SWBAT to create an account on the tinkercad.com site
SWBAT complete several tutorials on how to use TinkerCAD
- First If you haven’t already, you need to create a name tag for your computer with this template. Start by making a copy of the document. Make sure it follows my rules:
- Include your name and section. Capitalize the first letter of your first and last name
- The box around your name MUST stay the same size.
- Dark color font (only one color)
- Use a font that’s not scripty
- No pictures
- Use Upper and Lower Case.
- No background colors or shadows
- You should print them to “Papercut_SMS_Lab_103.” I will show you how to fold them.
- You need to sign up for TinkerCAD. This is a program that will allow everyone to print something on the 3D printer. Go to http://tinkercad.com and click Sign Up for Free Account. First read the detailed instructions at the top of this page. Once you have signed in, go through the tutorials – they are pretty short, but they’ll give you an idea of how the tool works.
Welcome to Engineering and Design!
What will we learn in this course?
What do I need to do in order to be successful in Engineering & Design?
SWBAT explain what will be covered in this course
SWBAT explain what they need to do to be successful in this course.
Here is where I will post the objectives and agenda for each class.
Here is the Computer Name Tag template.