What is a Lego EV3 Mindstorms kit?
How can I program the motors to control the robot?
Students will watch several tutorial videos about programming the Lego EV3
SWBAT program a robot to move in various pattern in the robot arena
- You will be working with Lego robots and trying to program them to follow a specific course.
- You’ll work with one other person to program a specific robot.
- BEFORE you get together with your partner, please watch the first three tutorial videos that I created to provide you with the information you need for the first challenge. Click here for the page with the videos.
- When you’re done, you and your partner should check in with me. I’ll give you a sheet listing the challenges you need to complete.
- Each time you complete a challenge you need to demonstrate it to me. When you’re successful you can stamp your sheet to show you’ve completed the challenge. Then watch the video describing the next challenge.
- Because we are sharing these robots between three classes, you need to include your last names in your project names. See the back of the Lego EV3 Challenge sheet for details.
- See this page for solutions to common problems with the Lego EV3 Robots.
What do engineers do?
What type of engineer would I like to be, if I had to choose?
SWBAT identify critical skills for a variety of engineering jobs
SWBAT choose what type of engineering job might be the best fit for them
Today you’ll watch several videos about engineers. Save a copy of this Google Doc . The document has a list of videos showing engineers and what they do. You’ll be watching five of the videos. They are very short and there are a number of them to choose from.
For each video, you’ll write what type of engineering the person shown in the video does. Then you’ll go to this site to help you describe what that type of engineer does. If you can’t find the description on that site, go to this page with additional descriptions.
Note: Out of the 5 engineers you choose, only two may be the same type of engineers.
Then you’ll rank how interesting the job is to you on a scale of 1 – 10.
- Don’t skip the last question about which engineer you like most. When you’re done, submit the Google Doc in Schoology.
There are a total of 26 engineers listed, but you do not have to watch and answer questions for all of them. You need to view the videos for at least 5 of the engineers listed below and answer the questions for those five videos.
How can I create an object to be printed on the 3D printer?
SWBAT design their name tag in TinkerCAD
- First log back in to Tinkercad.com. Hopefully you either remember your password or you wrote it down.
- After that you’ll begin working on your 3D printer name tag. Please take a look at the following two documents:
Name Tag Instructions
Name Tag Rubric
- You will need to get this completed and posted during this class, or work on it outside of class.
- If you finish during class, you may want to create a design of your own in Tinkercad.
How does the 3D Printer work?
How do I design an object that can be printed on the 3D printer?
SWBAT to create an account on the tinkercad.com site
SWBAT complete several tutorials on how to use TinkerCAD
- First If you haven’t already, you need to create a name tag for your computer with this template. Start by making a copy of the document. Make sure it follows my rules:
- Include your name and section. Capitalize the first letter of your first and last name
- The box around your name MUST stay the same size.
- Dark color font (only one color)
- Use a font that’s not scripty
- No pictures
- Use Upper and Lower Case.
- No background colors or shadows
- You should print them to “Papercut_SMS_Lab_103.” I will show you how to fold them.
- You need to sign up for TinkerCAD. This is a program that will allow everyone to print something on the 3D printer. Go to http://tinkercad.com and click Sign Up for Free Account. First read the detailed instructions at the top of this page. Once you have signed in, go through the tutorials – they are pretty short, but they’ll give you an idea of how the tool works.
Welcome to Engineering and Design!
What will we learn in this course?
What do I need to do in order to be successful in Engineering & Design?
SWBAT explain what will be covered in this course
SWBAT explain what they need to do to be successful in this course.
Here is where I will post the objectives and agenda for each class.
Here is the Name Card template.